Skip to main content

UnWrest Review- Ring of Honor State of the Art Nights 1 and 2 + NJPW's Kizuna Road Night 1 (with First G1 Climax Thoughts)

As promised in the earlier post from today, here are my reviews of the Ring of Honor and New Japan shows from the weekend. They are split up by company to help organize them.

ROH
State of the Art Night 1- San Antonio

- Flip Gordon is a good light heavyweight talent that I recommend to anyone who hasn't seen him wrestle yet. I thought his match with Rhett Titus was a bit sloppy, though, as there were some awkward moments between the two of them. Flip is someone though that I expect big things for in the future, especially given his association with the Bullet Club. Book Flip!

- Jay Lethal, likewise a great talent, had a decent match with TK O'Ryan. It was obvious to me that Lethal was carrying more than his fair share of this match. I'm not saying O'Ryan can't be good over time, but I don't think he's as great as the announcers were trying to make him at this point in his career.

- Cody and Jonathan Gresham had a very fun match. Gresham is someone I have to give more attention to in the future. Can we book Gresham vs. Zach Sabre Jr? Or has that happened already?

- The main event was the usual fun Bullet Club multi-man match. The star of these matches is almost always Adam Page who should be a main event level singles star in a couple years. Nick Jackson, in my opinion, is the best "hot tag" wrestler in tag team wrestling today. (That's the guy who gets the tag after his partner gets worked on most of the match.) For the record, Billy Gunn is my favorite "hot tag" wrestler ever. Bottom line: Everyone in the match had a chance to shine and contribute, which caused the match to succeed.

Overall, Night 1 of SOTA (San Antonio) was good and worth watching for the main event and the Cody/Gresham matches. 

Night 2- Dallas
- First match to stand out to me was The Young Bucks vs. The Boys. It's the first time I can remember The Young Bucks being the heavyweights in a match, which caused some funny sequences. Fun spot with Nick Jackson climbing a pole in the arena and doing a backflip onto The Boys. Check this out.

- Flip Gordon vs. Jay Lethal vs. Marty Scurll- A match I forgot was happening on this show but had me hyped as soon as I saw it was happening. Nice mind game sequence at the beginning with Scurll facing both Lethal and Flip individually. It was a good match that could be better a second time around. I liked the after-match stuff with Bully Ray and Flip Gordon. Something seems just natural for Bully Ray to pick on younger, smaller wrestlers... almost as if he's done that before. :)

- I liked the throwback match during intermission from Supercard of Honor (2016) between ACH and Adam Cole (BAY BAY). Thank you ROH for giving us an Adam Cole match this weekend since NXT "couldn't find something for him." 

- Killer Elite Squad vs. The Briscoes... You just knew this was going to be a brawl. And that's all it was: a fun brawl. I thought the title was changing hands a couple times there as K.E.S. could have been theoretically the champs for Best in the World at least. 

(Side note: ROH Honor Club is worth the money if you like having live wrestling. They broadcast all of their live event tours. Their video library is spotty right now, but the quality of wrestling on these shows is amazing. Plus, even if you do the $10 membership, you can still order their PPVs every few months at half the cost. Sinclair can pay me for that advertisement if they want to).

- Cody and Shane Taylor... was just there to me. Cody put on his usual good performance. I'm just not a big fan of Shane Taylor. I'm just not impressed by what I've seen so far (except the time he helped get himself up for Minoru Suzuki's Gotch Piledriver. That WAS impressive for both of them). Bernard The Business Bear, on the other hand, is quite a worker if I do say so myself. Is he All In?

- Silas Young vs. Hangman Page vs. Scorpio Sky vs. Jonathan Gresham vs. Cheeseburger vs. Punishment Martinez... Dang, that took a while to type up. (And yes, for those of you uninitiated, there is a wrestler named Cheeseburger who is probably 110 lbs at best; think Spike Dudley on a diet).  Good chaotic action with everyone getting their moment to shine and stand out. Silas Young continues to be that guy who everyone hates for being a fake macho wrestler. Fun match with Martinez getting a big win and the INSTANT REWARD of a TV Title match against Silas Young.

- Silas and Punishment had an ok match. Martinez winning was a surprise given it wasn't actually on a PPV or a TV taping. So, this was definitely worth seeing for the title change and in combination with the match before that led to it. Now, this means that Martinez vs. Page at Best in the World will be for the TV Title, which should be an awesome match.

Bottom Line: This was another solid show from ROH with a couple good matches (Bucks/Boys and the Triple Threat match) and a solid 40 minute story being told as the main event.

NJPW
Kizuna Road- Night 1
I will be following the other nights of the Kizuna Road event and posting that combined review after their conclusion. But I'm posting my thoughts on the first event below. Also, I'll have thoughts on the announced G1 participants after these thoughts as well.
It's only Japanese commentary today along with some Young Lions matches. So, this will be a shortened review. But I read Tanahashi and Okada are on opposite teams for a match today. So, I will definitely be reviewing that one. Here we go!!!!

- Three matches with Young Lions started the show. I used that time to wish my father a Happy Father's Day. Based on what I saw onscreen, I recommend you use that time to do the same if you can.

- Chaos vs. Taguchi-Japan in a ten-man tag is the first match I gave attention to. I know people knock NJPW for these multi-man tag matches, but if you think about it from the perspective of a promoter, you are basically helping to preserve the short and long-term prospects of your talents by using the tag match formula for your undercard. You still give the audience an opportunity to see the talent they want to see, and you get to save your big matches for other cards to get more money over a period of time. You just have to be creative in your presentation to keep those tag matches fresh. NJPW does that more or less.
Speaking of which, a lot of hot-dogging going on between the two teams with Taguchi running the ropes repeatedly until falling out of exhaustion and the classic baseball clotheslines. I don't get most of Toru Yano's humor either, but I know I'm not his target audience. I don't think I've ever seen this Jeff Cobb before, but he looks to be a huge guy. Impressive display from him in this match towards the end.

- Suzuki-Gun vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon looked to be good fun. If  Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr., and Killer Elite Squad were in this match for Suzuki-Gun, I'd be more into the match. I was surprised that Takahashi's theme played LIJ out instead of Naito's, but I wasn't surprised that Suzuki-Gun jumped them to start the match. Good storytelling with Suzuki-Gun targeting Naito's eye, which was bloodied in the Jericho match last week. Decent 10 man tag here with BUSHI (the other other other guy in LIJ) getting the victory. Hiromu said something to El Desperado after the match. What? Beats me. He may have told him about what Daryl did to his mask for all I know. And as usual, Suzuki-Gun beats up the Young Lions on their way out. I think that's a price of staying in the group: beat up the rookie trainees or get out. Funny stuff at the end with Naito breaking off a piece of Hiromu's trophy by accident. You don't need a translator to understand that stuff. Lol.

- God, it was so weird seeing Okada not have the IWGP Heavyweight Championship when he came out for the six man tag with he, Ishii, and White against Tanahashi, Finlay, and Robinson. As for Juice, he's a great example of what can happen when you reinvent yourself outside of the WWE system. He took control of his career, started as a Young Lion trainee in NJPW after having already been a wrestler in NXT, and has since grown into a very good, flamboyant midcard attraction for New Japan. He'd make a good U.S. Chammpion for NJPW if they want to get the belt off Jay White. I also hope Tanahashi and Okada are in the same block for the G1 as I want to see them go at it again. Given Tanahashi's age, the window for seeing another high level Okada-Tanahashi match is closing year after year. I know they just had a match in May, but there's always room for more. As for Ishii, I wish they would do something more with him. And David Finlay was in this match too. Just kidding. It is easy to get lost in this match with a lot of other great talent. For his effort, Finlay (who looks like the missing Disciple of Apocalypse from the WWE's Attitude Era) looked good in the closing minutes of the match even in taking the pinfall. BRUTAL attack after the match with White throwing Robinson into rail after rail and beating up Young Lions (Hey, that's SUZUKI'S GIMMICK, you jerk!!!!). Juice eventually chases him off. Dang. That was an awesome little war after the match that definitely adds interest to their match in a few weeks at the Cow Palace.  We may have a IWGP U.S. Champion named Juice, and I'm cool with that.

- I've never been a huge Goto fan or an Elgin fan either for that matter. But they had an awesome match for the Never Openweight Championship. Hard hitting, Strong Style wrestling match in which it looked to me that either man could have been the logical winner. It was a war, and it will be on my list of best matches of the weekend.

Overall, Night 1 of Kizuna Road was decent. The only true match worth going out of your way to watch is Goto vs. Elgin, and that is if you are a fan of Strong Style.

G1 Announcements
At the middle of the show, the following video showed the participants for the G1 Climax 28 tournament next month...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhuyV13kEaE

Later in the Kizuna Road tour, we will get the G1 Blocks and the cards for each of the different events. Each show will have English commentary as well.

I personally cannot wait for this tournament to start. Last year was the first G1 I watched through to the end, and I was impressed by the amount of great wrestling and storytelling going on in the tournament. I will be delayed a bit in reporting on these first few shows as I will be on vacation during the first week of the G1, but I will catch up on them with combined reports and then report daily updates once I get caught up.

I don't know who is in what block yet, but my early prediction for this show is Kota Ibushi winning, leading to a Golden Lovers Explosion at Wrestle Kingdom 13. My alternate pick would be Okada as Okada-Omega V would be welcome at any major event.

I look for Sanada and Evil to have big tournaments as well, and I predict Sanada will get an upset victory over one of the big name competitors in this tournament including Omega (if they are in the same block).
_ _ _ _
Hope you have enjoyed all these reviews. I will be posting the Money in the Bank review later tonight or tomorrow. Until next time, wrestling fans, take care of yourselves. Spread some awesomeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UnWrest Focus REWIND: Vader vs. Cactus Jack (WCW Halloween Havoc, 10/24/1993)

Spin the Wheel, Make The Deal. That was the gimmick going into this iconic match between two of the hardest hitting wrestlers of all time. It was the storyline months in development: Cactus Jack had just returned after Vader mauled him with a battery of injuries and a concussion to get his revenge. Vader, a merciless monster who delivers pain and punishment to all his vicitms, faced Cactus Jack, the one guy who would take Vader's assault and like the orphan Annie would ask for more. And if Vader wanted to brawl, no one could take Vader's offense and return it in spades quite like Cactus Jack. So, WCW billed the match as "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal." The idea being that the actual stipulation of the match would be determined on Halloween Havoc by the spin of a big wheel. (If only wrestling could take the "Big Wheel" from The Price is Right. And of course, we'd have to make sure it goes all the way around.) So, the wheel landed that night on a Texas D

WCW Spring Stampede 1994 Review- WCW At Its Best + Flair/Steamboat In Another Classic

It's WCW in early 1994. We're now working up the hype for the eventual debut of Hulk Hogan to the company. This seems like the final last gasp of what WCW was prior to Hogan's debut with the company. Tonight, we are getting WCW World Champion Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat 5 years after their classic feud (covered on UnWrest Focus earlier). We are also getting International World Champion Ravishing Rick Rude vs. Sting. We also have Steve Austin defending his U.S. Championship against The Great Muta! And Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne go to war with The Nasty Boys in a Chicago Street Fight. Here we go! Mean Gene Okerlund welcomes us to the show as fireworks go off. We're in the Rosemont Horizon in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Aaron Neville sings the National Anthem holding on to as many harmonies and vowels as he can. Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan put over the main event. 1) Johnny B. Badd vs. Diamond Dallas Page (w/ Diamond Doll) Badd comes out dressed like