Skip to main content

WWE SummerSlam 2018 Predictions


Welcome to a fast-paced preview of WWE SummerSlam 2018. For this, I'm going to preview each match as fast as I can and provide my personal prediction for each match. Hey. All us older wrestling fans long for the "2.5 hours and you're done" format. But I digress. That's why we have NXT.
Anyways, here we go with the predictions:   

1) Raw Tag Team Championships: The B-Team (c) vs. The Revival

As much as I want to say The Revival will win, I just can't. There's too much going against this old school team to win the titles right now. I feel like WWE has invested, for better and for worse, in the B-Team being tag team champions for another couple months at least. So, I can't see WWE changing script right now on this team.

My Prediction: The B-Team

2) Rusev and Lana vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas and Zelina Vega

Aiden English is the X-Factor in this match. I have a hard time believing that WWE won't have Aiden interfere in this match and cost Rusev Day the match. The question is: Will it be an accident? I say continue pushing Andrade and Zelina. And maybe gets Aiden to sing "VIVA ANDRADE!"

My Prediction: Andrade and Zelina

3) Cruiserweight Championship: Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Drew Gulak

I don't watch 205 Live, just like most of the WWE audience. So, in this situation, I'm going with the champion to retain. We're all waiting on Vince to send Johnny Gargano or Ciampa here. "You watch Willy Wonka, pal? Ooompa lumpa, gobbledy dive. You are going to hell, also known as 205 Live." Lol.

My Uneducated Prediction: Cedric Alexander

4) Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin

Speaking of small people Vince likes poking fun at, it's the leprechaun of Monday Nights. That used to be Hornswoggle's gimmick, but alas, Prince Devitt needed to take it for himself. Corbin has been getting one up on Balor for weeks now. It's time for the guy the size of the WWE Champion to get the win.

My Prediction: Finn Balor

5) Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz

I know everyone is going nuts for this match. I'm somewhat lukewarm on it. If this had happened a year or two ago, I would have been excited. But now, it's been too quick of a burn to reheat the old story. Hear me out. I think this was a program that should have been saved for WrestleMania to really ramp up this story to where YOU HAVE to see this match. Now, you're just getting it.
The Miz is going to win this in order to keep any momentum going for this feud. If Bryan wins, what's the point of this continuing? And what fun would that be in the end?

My Prediction: The Miz

6) U.S. Championship: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Jeff Hardy

Why am I not more excited for this match? Oh right. Randy Orton is swinging above this match like a buzzard ready to pounce. I think this is just going to blow off the Hardy-Nakamura rivalry, and it will be another setup for Hardy vs. Orton in the future. As for Nakamura, I predict either Rusev or Daniel Bryan is next on the horizon.

My Prediction: Shinsuke Nakamura

7) SmackDown Women's Championship: Carmella (c) vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte

I said this when Charlotte was added to this match: Carmella is going to retain. Charlotte will take the pinfall after Becky and her end up fighting over who is going to win the title. Becky gets the title at either Hell in a Cell or Evolution. But for now, Carmella continues to be an annoying Alexa Bliss wannabe.

My Prediction: Carmella

8) Money in the Bank Briefcase on the Line: Braun Strowman (holder) vs. Kevin Owens

I just don't see Kevin Owens winning this thing. Any loss in any way by Braun will only hurt him. They put this briefcase on him. He's already lost several big matches he shouldn't have lost (**cough** Brock Lesnar **cough**). If he loses to Owens, it's another step back. I don't see it happening. Owens is already getting Shania Twain singing his favorite song the next time he sees her in concert. Just let him have THAT. Lol.

My Prediction: Braun Strowman

9) Intercontinental Championship: Dolph Ziggler (c) (with Drew McIntyre) vs. Seth Rollins (with Dean Ambrose)

Dean Ambrose is back and looking like an Indy version of Triple H. And he's here to save Seth Rollins, right? WRONG! I'm calling it: Ambrose will betray Rollins leading to Ziggler getting the surprise win. Raw needs more big time villains, and the thought of Ambrose betraying Rollins to payback what Rollins did to him 4 years ago is too good not to happen eventually. I'm saying it happens Sunday. 

My Prediction: Dolph Ziggler

10) SmackDown Tag Team Championship: The Bludgeon Brothers (c) vs. The New Day

Who do the Bludgeon Brothers have to face after this match, if they win? The Bar? Vince hates doing heel vs. heel even more than he hates face vs. face. It's time. The Bludgeon Brothers had a decently long run. Not a great run, but a run nonetheless. The New Day are going home with their 5th Tag Team Championship. Get the pancakes ready.

My Prediction: The New Day

11) WWE Championship: AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe

This is another case of me wanting Joe to FINALLY get the big singles win that he's needed in his WWE tenure. But, once again, I just don't see it happening yet. Styles is perhaps the most over talent in WWE at the moment. He's also on the cover for the new WWE 2K19 video game. I don't think this is the time. The program may continue through September and October, but I don't see Joe winning the championship now.

My Prediction: AJ Styles

12) Raw Women's Championship: Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey hasn't won a big one on one match on PPV yet. Sorry to Alexa's fans. SummerSlam will not be her night. Rousey will win the championship and face Natalya at Evolution before having the ULTIMATE confrontation at WrestleMania against Charlotte in THE Main Event of the show.

My Prediction: Ronda Rousey

13) Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Roman Reigns

This may be one of the worst main events in SummerSlam history here, folks. It's not going to be Diesel vs. Mabel or Shawn Michaels flopping like a fish against Hulk Hogan. But this will be bad. And it's no fault of the actual performers in the ring. It's going to be a crowd hijacking that I predict will be even worse than WrestleMania, and it will be directed specifically at Vince McMahon and the creative team. Will they care? They got $2 billion in their pocket this year, at least. You better believe they don't care.
As for the match itself, please just end this whole thing. Give Roman his big title win over Brock. Let Brock go off to fight whatever dude he's fighting in the UFC. (I don't know, and I don't care, who it is folks.) I'm hoping Roman wins only for Braun to cash in on him to become the new champion by the end of the night. The crowd will still be upset after Roman wins anyways, but ending the show with Braun and cheers from the crowd would be a better visual to end on.

My Prediction: Roman Reigns (Bonus: Braun cashes in, becomes new champion)

That's it for my predictions, folks. Hope you all enjoy SummerSlam. Again, I will be writing a review and posting it either Sunday Night or Monday Night on the blog. (By the way, 4 hours is the maximum these events should be, period. If it's on the pre-show, it should just be on regular TV the next night.)

Take care everyone and spread some awesomeness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UnWrest Focus REWIND: Vader vs. Cactus Jack (WCW Halloween Havoc, 10/24/1993)

Spin the Wheel, Make The Deal. That was the gimmick going into this iconic match between two of the hardest hitting wrestlers of all time. It was the storyline months in development: Cactus Jack had just returned after Vader mauled him with a battery of injuries and a concussion to get his revenge. Vader, a merciless monster who delivers pain and punishment to all his vicitms, faced Cactus Jack, the one guy who would take Vader's assault and like the orphan Annie would ask for more. And if Vader wanted to brawl, no one could take Vader's offense and return it in spades quite like Cactus Jack. So, WCW billed the match as "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal." The idea being that the actual stipulation of the match would be determined on Halloween Havoc by the spin of a big wheel. (If only wrestling could take the "Big Wheel" from The Price is Right. And of course, we'd have to make sure it goes all the way around.) So, the wheel landed that night on a Texas D