Skip to main content

WWE Evolution Predictions + Thoughts on An Underpromoted All-Women PPV


Credit: WWE
WWE Evolution Promotional Poster


This should feel like a bigger deal. After all, this is the first time ever that an All-Women PPV is taking place under the WWE corporate umbrella. But WWE has done a great job of completely killing the show with an uninspired card, lack of promotion, lack of interest overall, and finding a million different other things to promote to undermine the event.

Still, some fans (like myself) want to give the women their due and hope to enjoy this show. Here's a rundown of the card and my predictions for each match:

1) Raw Women's Championship: Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Nikki Bella

If this goes longer than 5 minutes, it's definitely too long. As good as Nikki can be in the ring (at times), Rousey should just absolutely massacre her. The only ways to prolong this match in a realistic way would be 1) an injury angle or 2) Twin Magic with Brie interfering. Otherwise, this should be short and awesome.

Prediction: Ronda Retains

2) SmackDown Women's Championship
Last WOMAN Standing
Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte Flair

I know that everyone wants to say that Becky is going to win this match and she's going to be the face of the SmackDown Women's Division while Charlotte goes on to start building towards facing Ronda Rousey.
BUT... I'm going on a limb here. I think Vince will have Charlotte win here. While Becky has been on fire as a heel, I think Vince sees more value on having Charlotte as the champion on SmackDown Live. Plus, the rumor and innuendo is that Survivor Series is not going to be brand vs. brand this time. If that's true, then it opens the room for Charlotte and Ronda to be champions and not have to face each other yet.  Therefore, I'm going on that limb and understand I may be wrong.

Prediction: Charlotte Flair regains the SmackDown Women's Championship.

3) NXT Women's Championship
Kairi Sane (c) vs. Shayna Baszler

These two have had some fun matches in the past, and I expect nothing less out of them going into this one. I think Baszler is going to take the title back on this show. I don't think she's getting the main roster promotion yet, and without that, I think she needs to win the championship to keep the rivalry with Sane going.

Prediction: Shayna Baszler wins the NXT Women's Championship.

4) Mae Young Classic Finals
Toni Storm vs. Io Shirai

It's a great time in wrestling when there's so much of it that you can't humanly keep up with it. See The Mae Young Classic which I've watched absolutely none of. So, I'm going with Toni Storm because I've heard of her.

Prediction (uneducated, I might add): Toni Storm wins the Mae Young Classic.

5) Trish Stratus and Lita vs. Mickie James and Alicia Fox (w/Alexa Bliss)

Unfortunately, Alexa Bliss was taken out of this match due to a concussion which just added to other injuries she's had recently. In her place is Alicia Fox. So, this essentially is now Attitude Era vs. Divas Era. I'm going to go with Trish and Lita now getting the win over Mickie and Alicia. I can't wait to see Mickie and Trish mix it up though. Will there be palm licking?

Prediction: Trish and Lita win

6) Women's Battle Royal

This is basically where any woman not booked in a match already is being dumped into. It's a shame really as several of these women deserve their own match. BUT it could help the other matches get more time and produce better results. There are going to be some big names in this, including Asuka, Nia Jax, Torrie Wilson, and MADUSA (Alundra Blayze)! I've heard a lot of people pick Asuka. That'd be my pick too if I thought Vince McMahon gave a damn about her. I don't. Therefore, I'm going with a wild card here. I'm going with Nia Jax to get the surprise win on this to build her up to challenge Ronda Rousey in the future as we never got a clean finish to their match from Money in the Bank.

Prediction: Nia Jax

7) Sasha Banks, Bayley, and Natalya vs. The Riott Squad

I wish I cared. But how many times have we seen a mixture of these six women in a match? I'm a bit bored, and I'm done with caring about Sasha and Bayley at this point. Congratulations WWE. You turned the two women who had one of the best matches this decade into acts I cannot even stand on my TV due to your bad writing and booking. My hats off to you and my apologies to Sasha and Bayley (and to Natalya and The Riott Squad as well). Here's hoping things change soon.

Prediction: Sasha, Bayley, and Natalya win the match.
_ _ _ _ _

Overall, I think this has the capability to be an excellent show. I also think that there's room for it to be an abysmal failure as well. I don't see it being in the middle. It's either going to be this great moment, or it's going to be something we'll all look back on and say "That could have been better."

I'll post my review of this show Sunday Night after the show concludes (and while I'm watching the House Hardy Halloween Special on WWE Network). Until then....

Take care of yourselves. Spread some awesomeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UnWrest Focus REWIND: Vader vs. Cactus Jack (WCW Halloween Havoc, 10/24/1993)

Spin the Wheel, Make The Deal. That was the gimmick going into this iconic match between two of the hardest hitting wrestlers of all time. It was the storyline months in development: Cactus Jack had just returned after Vader mauled him with a battery of injuries and a concussion to get his revenge. Vader, a merciless monster who delivers pain and punishment to all his vicitms, faced Cactus Jack, the one guy who would take Vader's assault and like the orphan Annie would ask for more. And if Vader wanted to brawl, no one could take Vader's offense and return it in spades quite like Cactus Jack. So, WCW billed the match as "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal." The idea being that the actual stipulation of the match would be determined on Halloween Havoc by the spin of a big wheel. (If only wrestling could take the "Big Wheel" from The Price is Right. And of course, we'd have to make sure it goes all the way around.) So, the wheel landed that night on a Texas D

WCW Spring Stampede 1994 Review- WCW At Its Best + Flair/Steamboat In Another Classic

It's WCW in early 1994. We're now working up the hype for the eventual debut of Hulk Hogan to the company. This seems like the final last gasp of what WCW was prior to Hogan's debut with the company. Tonight, we are getting WCW World Champion Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat 5 years after their classic feud (covered on UnWrest Focus earlier). We are also getting International World Champion Ravishing Rick Rude vs. Sting. We also have Steve Austin defending his U.S. Championship against The Great Muta! And Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne go to war with The Nasty Boys in a Chicago Street Fight. Here we go! Mean Gene Okerlund welcomes us to the show as fireworks go off. We're in the Rosemont Horizon in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Aaron Neville sings the National Anthem holding on to as many harmonies and vowels as he can. Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan put over the main event. 1) Johnny B. Badd vs. Diamond Dallas Page (w/ Diamond Doll) Badd comes out dressed like