Skip to main content

WWE Super Show-Down 2018 Preview and Predictions



Well, it's time again, ladies and gentlemen. WWE is doing ANOTHER supershow this year. But it's not in Saudi Arabia this time. So, women, pack your bags. You're able to work this weekend. The show will take place down under in Melbourne, Australia in front of an expected 60-70,000 people. And WWE has done a very good job hyping up some of these matches, in particular the LAST TIME EVER match and most of the SmackDown Live matches. In fact, as I review the card and discuss my predictions, notice that SmackDown Live is bringing almost all of the championship matches on this show. The only title not being defended on SmackDown Live is the United States Championship of Shinsuke Nakamura. Then again, Australia is not Nakamerica. So, The King of Strong Style may low blow some wrestlers at the Performance Center this weekend.

Without further ado or discussion, let's get to the show already which on paper looks really good.

1) LAST TIME EVER: Triple H (with Shawn Michaels) vs. The Undertaker (with Kane)

You hear that folks?! THE LAST TIME EVER... unless the Saudi Royal Family pays $10 million to see DX vs. The Brothers of Destruction. Other than that, this is totally the last time ever. It's not like they ever hyped any "End of an Era" matches or anything in the past.

In all seriousness, I've liked a good bit of this set up. Shawn Michaels still has a great presence on the mic. Undertaker looks better than he has in years. Kane has more hair than anyone in this match, and Triple H hasn't cut too many 25 minute promos (Thank God). If the goal is for Shawn to come out of retirement and work the Saudi show, I see some sort of a Dusty Finish that will either see The Brothers force Shawn to come back or will anger Shawn Michaels to the point where he renegs on his promise to stay retired. I don't see this ending clearly, and I'm going with the man inside the McMahon Family to get the win.

My Prediction: Triple H.

2) Bobby Lashley and John Cena vs. Elias and Kevin Owens

Elias and Kevin Owens are going to be led to slaughter. But their performance on Raw almost has this shield on them. They got the kind of nuclear heat that should get them pushed on WWE programming. Cena will get a huge pop in Australia for showing up for a one-off. I think Lashley and Cena get the win. Lashley's program with Elias and Kevin Owens will likely continue after this. Lashley and Lio Rush's gimmick needs more time to evolve.

My Prediction: Bobby Lashley and John Cena

3) The Shield vs. Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler, and Drew McIntyre

I do like what WWE has been doing with these six. The intrigue of what Dean Ambrose is thinking internally about his "brothers" coupled with what seems to be some dissention within the ranks of the Strowman alliance with Ziggler and McIntyre has made Raw interesting to watch. I felt that Raw this week really tapped into the inner dynamics of these two groups. Will Dean turn first? Will Ziggler get cast aside, or will Strowman dump Ziggler and McIntyre? A shoe is going to drop on this feud. But I do not expect it here. I expect The Shield to triple-bomb Ziggler to win the match. This feud continues at least through Crown Jewel, and it may culminate at Survivor Series. But this is a match to make the fans feel good... or at least Vince McMahon.

My Prediction: The Shield

4) #1 Contendership for the WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz

And now, this show just got more interesting. For months (actively at least, years if you count NXT 2010), Daniel Bryan and The Miz have been going at it. For the most part, The Miz has had the better end of this feud. In 2018, Miz has won all their matches on these big events. Bryan still needs a win. But will he get it here?

Here's the conundrum: Whomever wins this match will basically give away the winner for the WWE Championship. There's no way WWE is giving us Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles (with a clean finish at least) right now. And Samoa Joe vs. The Miz is a double heel match. Who do you root for: The guy who goes after a man's family or a Hollywood elitist who makes your skin crawl? See. There is no good answer here. So, we're either getting The Miz vs. AJ Styles or we're getting Daniel Bryan vs. Samoa Joe. Here are a couple of more puzzling questions: Is The Miz hot enough to face AJ Styles, and can Daniel Bryan recover from YET another loss?  When I think about it like that, I have to contend that I do not see Daniel Bryan winning this match. I see Miz lowblowing Bryan or doing something underhanded to win the match. Then I see Bryan costing The Miz the championship, furthering that feud. I just do not see Daniel Bryan going into title contention.

My Prediction: The Miz

5) The Bellas and Ronda Rousey vs. The Riott Squad

The question isn't whether The Bellas and Ronda will win. The question is whether The Bellas will betray Ronda now or wait to do it at home?

(And yes. I expect Liv will get in the ring with Brie in this match at some point.)

My Prediction: Ronda and The Bellas


6) WWE Championship
No Disqualification, No Countout
AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe

Now, with what I said earlier during the Miz/Bryan analysis, you would think I would pick AJ Styles to win. After all, his family has been put under a lot of public scrutiny and verbal assault by Samoa Joe. In addition to that, AJ's the face of the brand and of the big new WWE 2K19 video game.
But I'm hedging my bets here and willing to take a loss. Because honestly, I would LOVE to see Samoa Joe finally win the WWE Championship. I have my doubts that it will take place at a glorified house show, even one in front of a massive crowd like this. BUT I'm going on the ledge here in order to get 1 out of the 2 right.

My Prediction (to stay afloat on my picks, lol): Samoa Joe

7) WWE Cruiserweight Championship
Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Buddy Murphy
I do not watch 205 Live.

My Prediction for the winner: My kidneys.

Ok. Ok. I'll make a prediction as I will watch the match. Cedric Alexander has had the championship since WrestleMania, right? I'm seriously asking. Well, I'm going for the feel good moment.

My Prediction: Buddy Murphy wins. Australia pops. 205 seems relevant for 3 seconds more than it has since 2016.

8) SmackDown Live Tag Team Championships
The New Day (c) vs. The Bar

I want to believe The Bar will win this match. I want Cesaro and Sheamus back on my TV more often. BUT New Day just won the tag titles not too long ago. They're still a top act for WWE, and ... I mean. Come On. They've lost all their singles matches and had their butler humiliated with pancake batter on the show. I don't see how The New Day loses THIS match. The Bar may get them later, but it's not going to be on this show.

My Prediction: The New Day

9) Asuka and Naomi vs. The IIconics

The IIconics are from Australia, right? Yeah. They're losing this match.

My Prediction: Asuka and Naomi

10) SmackDown Women's Championship
Becky Lynch (c) vs Charlotte Flair

This has received A LOT of attention on SmackDown Live the past few weeks. And despite what some would like you to believe, WWE deserves a lot of credit for what they did in turning Becky heel. I felt they only had one off segment when they did the first promo with Becky going off on the fans. Since then, she hasn't mentioned the fans at all, making the whole story about her obsession with defeating and replacing Charlotte as the face of SmackDown Live. It's been a great storyline that has added some fire to the career of Becky. She's been bland in the past, but since turning heel, she's one of my favorite acts on SmackDown. As for the match, I do not see the title switching here. If it changes this month, it will be at Evolution.

My Prediction: Becky Lynch

_ _ _ _

I think this is going to be a show where the action will be well worth your time. It is going to be a bit of a marathon show as usual for these big events, but I'm looking forward to drinking my coffee multiple times, eating some yogurt, and enjoying some extremely early Saturday morning wrestling.
I will be providing a review of the show as soon as it wraps up. Until next time, take care of yourselves. Spread some awesomeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UnWrest Focus REWIND: Vader vs. Cactus Jack (WCW Halloween Havoc, 10/24/1993)

Spin the Wheel, Make The Deal. That was the gimmick going into this iconic match between two of the hardest hitting wrestlers of all time. It was the storyline months in development: Cactus Jack had just returned after Vader mauled him with a battery of injuries and a concussion to get his revenge. Vader, a merciless monster who delivers pain and punishment to all his vicitms, faced Cactus Jack, the one guy who would take Vader's assault and like the orphan Annie would ask for more. And if Vader wanted to brawl, no one could take Vader's offense and return it in spades quite like Cactus Jack. So, WCW billed the match as "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal." The idea being that the actual stipulation of the match would be determined on Halloween Havoc by the spin of a big wheel. (If only wrestling could take the "Big Wheel" from The Price is Right. And of course, we'd have to make sure it goes all the way around.) So, the wheel landed that night on a Texas D

WCW Spring Stampede 1994 Review- WCW At Its Best + Flair/Steamboat In Another Classic

It's WCW in early 1994. We're now working up the hype for the eventual debut of Hulk Hogan to the company. This seems like the final last gasp of what WCW was prior to Hogan's debut with the company. Tonight, we are getting WCW World Champion Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat 5 years after their classic feud (covered on UnWrest Focus earlier). We are also getting International World Champion Ravishing Rick Rude vs. Sting. We also have Steve Austin defending his U.S. Championship against The Great Muta! And Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne go to war with The Nasty Boys in a Chicago Street Fight. Here we go! Mean Gene Okerlund welcomes us to the show as fireworks go off. We're in the Rosemont Horizon in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Aaron Neville sings the National Anthem holding on to as many harmonies and vowels as he can. Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan put over the main event. 1) Johnny B. Badd vs. Diamond Dallas Page (w/ Diamond Doll) Badd comes out dressed like