Skip to main content

NXT TakeOver: WarGames (2018) Preview and Predictions




God, I love WarGames. It's one of my favorite gimmick matches in wrestling history when done right. You have two rings, two teams (or more), in one elongated cage trying to survive. I've gone on record in saying that the NXT version of WarGames was my favorite of all of them, followed closely by Sting's Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance from 1992. This year could be another classic in the making.

But there are three other great matches on this card that could help produce the greatest NXT TakeOver of all time. So without further ado, here are my predictions and thoughts on each match.

1) NXT Championship
Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs. Velveteen Dream

This could be a show stealer. I know that sounds weird given that it's a championship match. But given the other three matches on this card, this is the one that sneaks up and takes the attention of the rest of the show. I'm predicting that Ciampa, by hook or crook, retains the championship, but the very young Velveteen Dream is going to put on the performance of a lifetime tonight in the process. It's ironic since Velveteen Dream's star rose at last year's WarGames event with the "Say My Name" match with Aleister Black. And I only expect this match to take him to the next level as a main event player.

Prediction: Ciampa retains.

2) Aleister Black vs. Johnny Gargano

Johnny Wrestling has become Darth Gargano after turning to the dark side and attacking Aleister Black. Again, I will continue to believe that this was the right decision for his career and for the character. I'm interested to see where this match goes. Here's the thing: Aleister Black is going to be fuming during this whole match. Or at least, I hope he is. If he were AJ Styles, he'd start the grudge match with a headlock. (I kid.) But I think we're going to see Gargano tap into the darkness and win this match to continue the feud to the next TakeOver event. If Black wins, it's just over. And that's no fun. We just now found out that it was Gargano that put Black on the shelf in storyline. Let's go a little bit further on this ride and find out how good Gargano can be at being bad. 

Prediction: Gargano wins.

3) NXT Women's Championship
2 out of 3 Falls
Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane

I have really enjoyed these matches, and I have no doubt that I will enjoy this one as well. Here's the thing for me: I don't know what else Shayna Baszler can do as Women's Champion. That's one reason I was so baffled about her win at Evolution. She's basically ran through a lot of the women's roster already. Candace LaRae is basically a non-factor in NXT. And Bianca Belair is another heel-ish performer on the brand. I mean Baszler could work with Nikki Cross again, but that's it. Meanwhile, I think there's more room for Sane to be champion and fight off the heels and faces on NXT. Therefore, I'm going with Sane to regain the Women's Championship, and Baszler to be called up to Raw or SmackDown the next night.

Predictions: Sane regains NXT Championship

4) NXT WarGames
The Undisputed Era (Cole, Strong, Fish, and O'Reilly) vs. Pete Dunne, Ricochet, and War Raiders

I can see this match going several different ways, all of which should be awesome. It being great is something I have no doubt about. It's NXT, not the overbooked WWE main roster. I have faith in Triple H and the talent orchestrating an excellent match here.
If I'm booking this, The Undisputed Era goes over after a miscommunication between Pete Dunne and Ricochet. I wouldn't even mind a heel turn by Pete Dunne on Ricochet to set up a match at the next TakeOver. Undisputed Era, to me, needs the win more to give them more heat. Adam Cole (Bay Bay) should be being elevated to start challenging for the NXT Championship by now. Meanwhile, Ricochet already beat Cole and already has the North American Championship. Add to that the fact that Dunne already is WWE United Kingdom Champion. Give the heels the win here and start building towards some fun programs in the wake of the match.

Prediction: The Undisputed Era wins WarGames for the 2nd year in a row.

Check in later tonight for the review of NXT TakeOver: WarGames. Until then, take care of yourselves. Spread some awesomeness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UnWrest Focus REWIND: Vader vs. Cactus Jack (WCW Halloween Havoc, 10/24/1993)

Spin the Wheel, Make The Deal. That was the gimmick going into this iconic match between two of the hardest hitting wrestlers of all time. It was the storyline months in development: Cactus Jack had just returned after Vader mauled him with a battery of injuries and a concussion to get his revenge. Vader, a merciless monster who delivers pain and punishment to all his vicitms, faced Cactus Jack, the one guy who would take Vader's assault and like the orphan Annie would ask for more. And if Vader wanted to brawl, no one could take Vader's offense and return it in spades quite like Cactus Jack. So, WCW billed the match as "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal." The idea being that the actual stipulation of the match would be determined on Halloween Havoc by the spin of a big wheel. (If only wrestling could take the "Big Wheel" from The Price is Right. And of course, we'd have to make sure it goes all the way around.) So, the wheel landed that night on a Texas D